As is the case with most states, you need to have a license if you want to ride your motorcycle. You need to show that you are fit to ride a motorcycle amidst pedestrians and other riders.
This is not negotiable as you need to prove yourself in the eyes of the government. Each state has its own rules and method for getting a motorcycle license.
This is why I thought it was necessary to talk about how to get a motorcycle license in Delaware. In this state, all you need to do on top of having a normal driver’s license is apply for a motorcycle endorsement which involves you submitting paperwork, taking some tests, and then paying a fee.
I will go over all of these steps in detail which is why it is recommended that you read all the sections of this article.
It will give you a deep look into how the state of Delaware decides how to give licenses and what you need to provide.
Motorcycle License Requirements In Delaware
Before you can start giving out and getting your license, you must know the main requirements of getting a motorcycle license in Delaware.
I will give some pointers on how you should proceed with getting your license. I will also talk about which approach you should take to apply for a license.
Knowing Your Age
Before applying for a license, you should know how you should go about applying for one, as this will depend mostly on your age.
If you are below the legal age of 18, your requirements will change drastically. This is why you should give special attention to this section.
Age Under 17
This category is for minors who are below the age of 18:
- You will need to complete a state-approved motorcycle education course.
- You will need to provide the Student Completion Card upon completion of said course.
- Provide written permission and signatures of your legal guardian and/or parents.
- Along with all of the above, you will also have to provide standard documents the DMV needs for your license.
- These documents include your birth certificate and driver’s license.
- You will also have to give your ID, passport, and social security number.
- You can then proceed to the tests.
- Pay the motorcycle licensing fee.
Age 18 Above
This category is for legal adults who are 18 years old and above:
- The documents you need to provide include your Birth certificate.
- You will need to give your driver’s license.
- Another thing you need to provide is your identity via passport, Military ID card & Delaware ID card.
- Along with this, you will also need to give your Social Security Number.
- Any documents from a court and a Marriage certificate must also be given.
- Since you are not a minor, you do not need to provide consent from your parents. You are also not required to do a course.
- You can directly proceed to the tests.
- Then you can pay the fees and get your license.
Types Of Motorcycle Licenses
Where most states usually have variants of motorcycle licenses, the state of Delaware does not operate in this regard. Instead, there is only one M class license that motorcyclists require.
How To Apply For Your Delaware Motorcycle License
This section will discuss how you can apply for your motorcycle license. It should be noted that this information is only viable in Delaware.
Step 1: Get A Driver’s License
- Before you can go and get yourself a motorcycle license, you are required by state law to get a legal driver’s license.
- For the sake of simplicity, I will only talk about getting a D-class driver’s license as that is for common passenger cars and vehicles.
- You need to get a supervised learner’s permit to apply for a D-class license. This has a few different versions, so you should decide which one is more suitable.
- Once you proceed, you will have to complete an approved education course for drivers and apply for the license, either for yourself or with your parents.
- Provide all the documents that tell your legal date of birth, presence in the United States, social security number, and other information.
- You will then have to conduct a vision test.
- Once you pass, you will get your picture taken, and after processing the license fee, you should be good to receive your license.
Step 2: Testing For Your Motorcycle License
Once you have acquired a legal driving license, you can proceed with the next step in getting a license in Delaware.
1. Motorcycle Written Test
- The written test is a compulsory test that all applicants need to pass.
- This test assesses your knowledge of traffic knowledge, helmet laws, and what to do in special driving conditions.
- The test consists of 25 questions, from which applicants need to answer 20 correctly to move to the next stage.
2. Vision Exam
- Delaware also requires applicants to pass a vision test to get a motorcycle license.
- To drive unrestricted, applicants need to have at least 20/40 vision.
- If a person fails this test, they will need to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist and get proper eye-wear issued.
- They will also need to get a form issued by the doctor and bring it back when they reattempt the exam.
3. Motorcycle Road Test
- The applicants proceed to the road test when done with all prior tests.
- This test has two different parts.
- The first part deals with traffic signs and signals, which the applicant must know and react to accordingly.
- At this point, you can qualify for a motorcycle permit.
- If you want a permanent motorcycle license, you will also have to pass the second part of the road test.
- This part deals with braking, accelerating, and turning.
Step 3: Collecting Your Paperwork
- Once you are done with your tests, you can now proceed to return to the examiner.
- Here, you should do your best to retrieve any sensitive and confidential documents you may have provided to the office.
- You may also be asked to fill out some forms, which you are advised to do.
- These forms could be such as the one you are required to provide via the doctor for the eye exam mentioned above.
- At this point, you should be ready to collect your driver’s license.
Step 4: Go To Your Local Driver’s License Office
- At this point, all of the tough stuff is over, and you should be clear to collect your temporary license.
- You will be asked to pay a small license fee as well as pay for any test/course if need be.
- This temporary license will only last for around 30 days. However, during this period, you will get your permanent license mailed to your home.
Ways To Get A Motorcycle Endorsement In DE
Even permanent licenses do not last forever. Eventually, you will have to get another motorcycle endorsement if you want to continue legally riding your motorcycle.
Here are the steps you need to follow to get your motorcycle endorsement.
Step 1: Get A Driver’s License
Start by getting a driving license. The steps to get a motorcycle endorsement are similar to getting a motorcycle license. You can refer to the first step of the above section to better understand the topic.
Step 2: Education Course And Tests
People under 18 will have to complete a state-approved motorcycle education course.
People above 18 can directly get to the written and road tests. They will have to pass these or opt for a motorcycle program to proceed to the next step.
Step 3: Collection Of documents
Once you pass the tests, you can collect your new motorcycle endorsement from the office. You will have to pay a fee. If you renew your endorsement, you will have to pay extra.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How Long Will It Take To Get A Motorcycle License In Delaware?
If you are at least 18 years of age and have not taken the motorcycle safety course, you will need to hold a motorcycle permit for at least six months.
After this, you can apply for exams and get your license. If you are below 18, you must complete a motorcycle training program.
Q2. How Much Will It Cost To Get A Motorcycle License In Delaware?
People under 18 will have to take a course that costs $35 if they are residents of Delaware. Outsides will have to pay $100 for the course.
Additionally, you will have to pay $8 to $12 for the license fee. You will have to pay $43 to $112 to get your license in Delaware.
Q3. Should I Have A License To Ride A Motorcycle In Delaware?
If you want to ride your motorcycle in public, you must have a motorcycle license in Delaware. Riding without a motorcycle is a crime; you will be fined if caught doing so.
Motorcycle riding is very dangerous, and even the most skilled rider can easily get into accidents.
You need a lot of skill and knowledge to handle a motorcycle which is why licenses exist. They confirm to the authorities and the government that you have what it takes to drive a motorcycle.
Now that you understand the importance of licenses and know how to get a motorcycle license in Delaware, you can confidently go to your DMV and get one started.
This will enable you to get in adequate practice and brush up on your knowledge about riding a motorcycle.
I am a passionate blogger who wants to spread my interest in motorcycles. Fueled by my love for motorcycles, I provide readers with valuable insights and updates on motorcycles’ informative and engaging topics and document the latest happenings in the biking community. Despite my hectic schedule, I can provide these blogs, which involve regular trips to the gym and sports like mountain biking and BMX. I am usually available most of the time, so be sure to join me on my journey of motorcycles and bikes! I appreciate a quiet and simple life and am always eager to interact with my readers to provide helpful information on my blog site.